[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Anson Kahng

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Mar 3 13:56:19 EST 2019

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Mar. 5th, at noon in *NSH 3305 *for
our AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the website.
On Tuesday, Anson Kahng will give the following talk:
*Title: Statistical Foundations of Virtual Democracy*

*Abstract*: Virtual democracy is an approach to automating decisions, by
learning models of the preferences of individual people, and, at runtime,
aggregating the predicted preferences of those people on the dilemma at
hand. One of the key questions is which aggregation method — or voting rule
— to use; we offer a novel statistical viewpoint that provides guidance.
Specifically, we seek voting rules that are robust to prediction errors, in
that their output on people's true preferences is likely to coincide with
their output on noisy estimates thereof. We prove that the classic Borda
count rule is robust in this sense, whereas any voting rule belonging to
the wide family of pairwise-majority consistent rules is not.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*