[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Simon Shaolei Du

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Feb 17 12:38:56 EST 2019

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Feb. 19th, at noon in *NSH
3305 *for our AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the
seminar series,
please visit the website.
On Tuesday, Simon Shaolei Du will give the following talk:
*Title: Understanding Optimization and Generalization in Deep Learning: A
Trajectory-based Analysis*

*Abstract*: In this talk, I will present recent progress on understanding
deep neural networks by analyzing the trajectory of the gradient descent
algorithm. Using this analysis technique, we are able to explain:
1) why gradient descent finds a global minimum of the training loss even
though the objective function is highly non-convex, and
2) why a neural network can generalize even the number of parameters in the
neural network is more than the number of training data.

Based on joint work with Sanjeev Arora,  Wei Hu, Jason D. Lee, Haochuan Li,
Zhiyuan Li, Barnabas Poczos, Aarti Singh, Liwei Wang, Ruosong Wang, Xiyu
Zhai