[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Devendra Chaplot -- Oct. 23rd

Han Zhao han.zhao at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 20 21:50:15 EDT 2018

Dear faculty and students:

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, at noon in GHC 6115
for AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the seminar series,
please visit the website.
On Tuesday, Devendra Chaplot will give the following talk:

Title: Embodied Multimodal Multitask Learning

Abstract: Recent efforts on training visual navigation agents conditioned
on language using deep reinforcement learning have been successful in
learning policies for two multimodal tasks: learning to follow navigational
instructions and embodied question answering. We aim to learn a multitask
model capable of jointly learning both tasks, and transferring knowledge of
words and their grounding in visual objects across tasks. The proposed
model uses a novel Dual-Attention unit to disentangle the knowledge of
words in the textual representations and visual objects in the visual
representations, and align them with each other. This disentangled
task-invariant alignment of representations facilitates grounding and
knowledge transfer across both tasks. We show that the proposed model
outperforms a range of baselines on both tasks in simulated 3D
environments. We also show that this disentanglement of representations
makes our model modular, interpretable, and allows for zero-shot transfer
to instructions containing new words by leveraging object detectors.
--

*Han ZhaoMachine Learning Department*

*School of Computer ScienceCarnegie Mellon UniversityMobile: +1-*
*412-652-4404*