[AI Seminar] AI Seminar sponsored by Apple -- Zhiting Hu -- October 24

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Sat Oct 21 21:51:49 EDT 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you next Tuesday, October 24, at noon in NSH 1507
(unusual place) for AI Seminar sponsored by Apple. To learn more about the
seminar series, please visit the AI Seminar webpage
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Zhiting Hu <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~zhitingh/> will give the
following talk:

Title: On Unifying Deep Generative Models

Abstract:

Deep generative models have achieved impressive success in recent years.
Generative Adversarial Networks (GANs) and Variational Autoencoders (VAEs),
as powerful frameworks for deep generative model learning, have largely
been considered as two distinct paradigms and received extensive
independent study respectively. This paper establishes formal connections
between deep generative modeling approaches through a new formulation of
GANs and VAEs. We show that GANs and VAEs involve minimizing KL divergences
of respective posterior and inference distributions with opposite
directions, extending the two learning phases of classic wake-sleep
algorithm, respectively. The unified view provides a powerful tool to
analyze a diverse set of existing model variants, and enables to exchange
ideas across research lines in a principled way. For example, we transfer
the importance weighting method in VAE literatures for improved GAN
learning, and enhance VAEs with an adversarial mechanism for leveraging
generated samples. Quantitative experiments show generality and
effectiveness of the imported extensions.