[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Iyad Rahwan (MIT) -- April 18

Adams Wei Yu weiyu at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 14 14:12:50 EDT 2017

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you Next Tuesday, April 18, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit the AI
 Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Iyad Rahwan <http://www.mit.edu/~irahwan/> from MIT Media
Lab will give the following talk:

Title: The Psychological Dilemmas of Autonomous Vehicles.

Abstract:
Autonomous vehicles promise to revolutionize transportation and
substantially improve safety. But they also made salient an ethical
question: how should an algorithm decide relative risk in situations of
unavoidable harm? I present a series of psychological studies that explore
how people think about such scenarios, and discuss the regulatory
challenges these studies reveal. I also describe a crowdsourcing effort
that engaged millions of people worldwide with the ethical questions facing
car makers and regulators.

Bio:
Iyad Rahwan is the AT&T Career Development Professor and an Associate
Professor of Media Arts & Sciences at the MIT Media Lab, where he leads the
Scalable Cooperation group. He holds a PhD from the University of
Melbourne, Australia, and is an affiliate faculty at the MIT Institute of
Data, Systems and Society (IDSS). Rahwan's work lies at the intersection of
the computer and social sciences, with a focus on collective intelligence,
large-scale cooperation, and the social aspects of Artificial Intelligence.