[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Juan Pablo Mendoza -- November 29

Ellen Vitercik vitercik at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Nov 27 09:20:38 EST 2016

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you this Tuesday, November 29th, at noon in NSH
3305 for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, please visit
the AI Lunch webpage <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>.

On Tuesday, Juan Pablo Mendoza <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~jmendoza/> will
give a talk titled "Detection of Subtle and Context-Dependent Robot Model
Inaccuracies."

*Abstract:* Autonomous robots frequently rely on models of their sensing
and actions for intelligent decision-making. Unfortunately, in complex
environments, robots are bound to encounter situations in which their
models do not accurately represent the world. Furthermore, these
context-dependent model inaccuracies may be subtle, such that multiple
observations may be necessary to distinguish them from process noise. We
explore the problem of detection and correction of such subtle contextual
model inaccuracies in high-dimensional autonomous robot domains. Our
solution relies on reasoning about these contextual inaccuracies as
parametric Regions of Inaccurate Modeling (RIMs) in the robot’s context
space, and developing optimization and search-based algorithms for finding
these RIMs. We describe the solution in detail, and explore its application
to model inaccuracy detection in the CoBot mobile service robots and the
CMDragons autonomous soccer robot team.