[AI Seminar] AI Lunch -- Nisarg Shah -- March 8th, 2016

Ellen Vitercik vitercik at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 2 22:33:36 EST 2016

Dear faculty and students,

We look forward to seeing you this Tuesday, March 8th, at noon in NSH 3305
for AI lunch. To learn more about the seminar and lunch, or to volunteer to
give a talk, please visit the AI Lunch webpage
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~aiseminar/>. *We are looking for someone to give a
talk on March 22nd.*

On Tuesday, Nisarg Shah <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~nkshah/> will give a talk
titled "Optimal Social Decision Making."

*Abstract*: How can computers help ordinary people make collective
decisions about real-life dilemmas, like which restaurant to go to with
friends, or even how to divide an inheritance?  I will present an
optimization-driven approach that draws on ideas from AI, theoretical
computer science, and economic theory, and illustrate it through my
research in computational social choice and computational fair division. In
both areas, I will make a special effort to demonstrate how fundamental
theoretical questions underlie the design and implementation of deployed
services that are already used by tens of thousands of people (spliddit.org),
as well as upcoming services (robovote.org).

Best,
Ellen and Ariel