[ACT-R-users] New ACT-R software release available

Christian Lebiere cl at cmu.edu
Tue Dec 27 17:00:11 EST 2016

CMU is closed for the Holidays and it might be a while before Dan replies,
so I will take a stab...

The new mechanism came out of conversations between Dan and I which go back
to my thesis work on a lifetime model of cognitive arithmetic (short
version here <http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/?post_type=publications&p=14049> and
long version here <http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/?post_type=publications&p=13870>).
It turns out that, under most realistic assumptions, practice does *not*
increase the difference in activation between relevant and irrelevant
chunks. If you assume that the relative frequency of knowledge does not
substantially change over time (e.g., the *relative* frequency of correct
facts such as 3+4=7 vs 3+5=8 remains the same as fixed by the environment)
then the difference in activation between the two chunks remains the same
even though both become more active with practice. That means that the
probability of commission errors (mistakenly retrieving one for the other)
remains constant, which is clearly not inline with the longitudinal data.
My thesis mentioned the theoretical argument that if the noise were to
decrease as a function of the log of practice then the odds of commission
errors would decrease as a power law of practice, which roughly seems to be
as indicated by the data.

That is not the only possible solution to the conundrum. The model actually
used associative learning to achieve that effect, and while it sort of
worked it was also brittle and exhibited a number of quirks. Besides the
mechanism is now deprecated so if you have a new candidate mechanism it
would be interesting to see if it works better. Another possibility would
be if the matching penalty increased with practice, but there are some
issues with getting that to work in the right conditions.

Note that idea of getting the noise to decrease with practice has
interesting connotations. From a rational analysis point of view,
decreasing the noise as a log of practice has been shown in some settings
(e.g., simulated annealing in Boltzmann networks) to yield an optimal
schedule for exploration-exploitation tradeoff. From a neural point of
view, an obvious interpretation would consist of holding the noise
magnitude constant while the size of the weights encoding the memory grows
with amount of practice (e.g., using superposition learning yielding random
walk-type dynamics).

On the latter point, an alternative ACT-R implementation would consist of
moving the noise term from a separate additive term in the activation
equation on a par with history (bll) and matching (al and pm) terms to an
additive term inside the log of the base-level history term. That way, the
log function applied to the sum over past references would quash it as
required. As I recall, Dan thought that it was a more disruptive change and
decided to include the new noise as a separate term instead at this initial
stage. Its parametrization and inclusion as an extra rather than as a
default was meant to let the community experiment with it and decide
whether it made sense before considering further deployment.

Happy holidays everyone.

Christian