[ACT-R-users] New ACT-R software release available

Ion Juvina ion.juvina at wright.edu
Tue Dec 27 11:22:26 EST 2016

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the update.

I have a question: what is the theoretical rationale for adding the adaptive noise to declarative memories?

As I understand it now, I think this mechanism is (at best) unnecessary.

It is unnecessary because the effect of noise DOES already decrease with practice. Practice increases the difference in activation between relevant and irrelevant chunks, which decreases the confusion between the two kinds of chunks at retrieval. If noise is set in the appropriate range, its effect will diminish and approach zero with practice.

Adding an explicit parameter to achieve something that emerges from existing mechanisms may even be detrimental considering the general recommendation to keep the number of parameters to a minimum.

I may be wrong, which is why I want to hear the rationale and the data that would suggest such an addition to the architecture.

I’d appreciate comments from the community as well.

Thanks,
~ ion