[ACT-R-users] Response type effect on workload

Moon, Jung Aa jmoon001 at ets.org
Tue May 5 15:10:54 EDT 2015

Dear all,

I am wondering if I can get some help with finding literature on how different response types affect workload.

These are some examples of the response types I am considering:

-          traditional multiple choice items (with 4-5 choice options)

-          items with drop-down buttons (with more than 5 options in each drop-down button)

-          items with a blank field where you type in your answer

-          tablet based items that allow haptic interactions (e.g., select and drag an object to adjust its size or move its location)

I am aware of some research by cognitive modeling community on menu selection (Byrne, 2001; Byrne, Anderson, Douglass, & Matessa, 1999; Hornof & Kieras, 1997) and workload analysis (Gray, Schoelles, & Myers, 2005). I wonder if there is any work focusing on comparing between traditional multiple choice items and items that allow more interactive behaviors (e.g., dragging) in terms of their effects on cognitive and perceptual-motor workload.

I am particularly interested in ACT-R modeling work on this topic, but I welcome all other modeling approaches.

Jung Aa Moon
Associate Research Scientist
Educational Testing Service
Princeton, New Jersey