[ACT-R-users] Has 'Conceptual Knowledge' been modeled?

Sandra L. Vaughan sandralvaughan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 15:29:19 EDT 2014

ACT-R Group,

I need to either confirm that there are no existsing models of "Conceptual
Knowledge" (see definition below) in ACT-R (or any other Cognitive Modeling
Architecture), or find them if they exist.
I have accomplished a rather exhaustive search of avaiable literature,
including the ACT-R acrhives,and have not found anything.  So I thought I
would send a request out to the group.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Definition - conceptual knowledge

\When we store experience in memory, we do not record every detail, as a
physical recording would. We keep some of the information and drop other
[perceived as unimportant] details. We can abstract from specific
experiences to general categories of the properties of that class of
experiences. This sort of abstraction creates conceptual knowledge
involving categories: for example, chairs and dogs (p.154) [2]"

[2] Anderson, J. R., Cognitive psychology and its implications, Macmillan,
sixth ed.,

2005.

Thanks,

Sandy