[ACT-R-users] References: ACT-R/Perception and Attention

Bonnie E John bejohn at us.ibm.com
Fri Jan 3 10:10:06 EST 2014

Ardian,
There are several papers that use CogTool to evaluate/redesign user
interfaces (UIs). CogTool is a tool created for UI designers so they can
use cognitive models without having to become psychologists themselves. It
uses ACT-R under-the-hood to produce predictions of usability metrics like
efficiency and discoverability. You can find papers that use CogTool at
http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/research/research-publications

In particular, here are some that might be most help to you:

CogTool-Explorer, predicts the success rate of novice users in doing
information-finding tasks on a website they haven't seen before. It shows
that different layouts of the same information lead to different success
rates.
http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/publications/cogtool-explorer

CogTool using the Keystroke-Level Model (implemented using ACT-R) to
predict the efficiency of systems after people become skilled in their use.
This paper is about half a dozen projects at IBM that used to CogTool and
these predictions in several different ways. To choose between design
ideas, to assign appropriate staffing, to demonstrate contract compliance,
etc.
http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/publications/deploying-cogtool-integrating-quantitative-usability-assessment-real-world-software-dev

A paper showing how visualizations of what the ACT-R model us doing
inspires UI designers to think of batter ways to design the UI.
http://cogtool.hcii.cs.cmu.edu/publications/using-cogtool-inspire-design

Here's another paper that is not on the CogTool website, where researchers
from Brown University used CogTool to help redesign a brain mapping system
Modeling Task Performance for a Crowd of Users from Interaction Histories

There are a lot more papers on the CogTool website, with different user
groups (e.g., elders v. younger people), different domains, (e.g., mostly
office work, but also aviation and healthcare), and mobile interfaces as
well as desktop computers.

Have a look. Explore the CogTool site. And let me know if you have any
questions.
Good luck with your work,
Bonnie