[ACT-R-users] Ref for empirical tests of cognitive models by predicting task difficulty

Frank Ritter frank.ritter at psu.edu
Mon Apr 28 13:50:57 EDT 2014

the Diag model with Bibby and the followup work by Friedrich both
predict with models not only which problems will be more difficult,
but also the transfer across problems.   The work with St. Amant
shows interface differences

http://acs.ist.psu.edu/papers/ritterBip.pdf
Ritter, F. E., & Bibby, P. A. (2008). Modeling how, when, and what
learning happens in a diagrammatic reasoning task. Cognitive Science.
 32, 862-892. [This paper does not cite a paper by Bovair et al.
(1990), and it should. Not because ideas were taken from it, at least
explicitly, but because the Bovair work is similar and would be
useful to anyone going further in this area {The acquisition and
performance of text-editing skill: A cognitive complexity analysis.
Human-Computer Interaction, 5, 1-48.}]

http://acs.ist.psu.edu/papers/friedrichR09.pdf
Friedrich, M. B., & Frank E. Ritter, F. E. (2009).  Reimplementing a
diagrammatic reasoning model in Herbal.  In Proceedings of ICCM -
2009- Ninth International Conference on Cognitive Modeling. 438-439.
Manchester, England.

http://acs.ist.psu.edu/papers/stamantHR07.pdf
St. Amant, R., Horton, T. E., & Ritter, F. E. (2007). Model-based
evaluation of expert cell phone menu interaction. ACM Transactions on
Computer-Human Interaction, 14(1), Article 1 (May 2007), 24 pages.

cheers,

Frank