[ACT-R-users] ACT-R modeling/user groups in Los Angeles?

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 18 16:28:12 EDT 2014

--On Friday, April 18, 2014 12:00 PM -0700 " haltingstate at gmail.com"
<haltingstate at gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone suggested that the best way to become familiar with ACT-R was to see
> it used in an interaction study and that it was often used in eye tracking
> and human interface studies.
>
> Is anyone aware of any projects or users of ACT-R in the Los Angeles area?
>
> I do work in quantitative finance, natural language processing and am trying
> to understand ACT-R in practice better. I read the book and went through the
> code examples for the Python implementation but do not understand the
> framework and how it is used in practice well enough to do an independent
> implementation.

I can't help you with users in the Los Angeles area, but I can make some
suggestions for learning more about ACT-R.

For information about the overall architecture I would recommend reading
the paper "An Integrated Theory of the Mind" available from the ACT-R
website: <http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/?post_type=publications&p=13623>.

I would also recommend going through the ACT-R tutorial which includes
example models for a variety of different tasks.  The tutorial is
included with the official ACT-R software distribution or can also
be downloaded separately from the software page of the ACT-R website:
<http://act-r.psy.cmu.edu/software/>.

Hope that helps,
Dan