[ACT-R-users] Model of writing

db30 at andrew.cmu.edu db30 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 24 15:29:20 EDT 2010

--On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 1:18 PM -0400 Bonnie John <bej at cs.cmu.edu>
wrote:

> We have a lower-level model of typing implemented in ACT-R tht is
> "under-the-hood" of CogTool. It is a mixture of my ages-old PhD thesis
> and what we cold do in ACT-R without changing the entire structure of
> its hand and fingers. So it still has remnants of ACT-R's typing
> assumptions, like the the hand always goes back to the home-row between
> each keystroke, but we have relaxed some of the other assumptions in the
> standard ACT-R typing model and so have sped it up to being about a 40
> wpm typist instead of the 20 wpm typist it is in the general release.

One note to make about that is the only assumptions about fingers returning
to the home-row are with the use of the press-key and peck-recoil actions.
If one programs the specific finger movements with peck and punch actions
then the fingers will stay at the key that was hit.  If you're not already
taking advantage of that you may be able to speed up your CogTool typist
even further.  Of course the complication is that to do that you would
also have to have something that computes the necessary geometry from the
current finger position to the target key instead of just the home-row to
target key geometries which are available from press-key.

As a simple demonstration of that, attached is a simple model which types
two keys in sequence using the same finger twice.  The first time using
two press-key actions and the second using explicit peck actions.  The
inter-key time for the second pair is less than for the first and that
should be true for all valid one-finger pairs.

Dan