[ACT-R-users] model validation

Rick Cooper R.Cooper at bbk.ac.uk
Sun Sep 14 06:28:54 EDT 2008

Dear Fehmida,

I'm curious that no one has replied to your query - I've been hoping
that someone would, because you ask a good and difficult question. I
have comments rather than a definitive answer.

There are many cases where researchers report correlational statistics
for ACT-R (and other) models. Often the fits are remarkable - so good
that I view them with skepticism, and wonder how much jiggery-pockery
is going on underneath to get those fits. Sometimes there is parameter
fitting involved. Othertimes I suspect it is carefully crafted
productions. In any case, there are plenty of papers critiquing the
"good fits", as given by correlation or r^2 stats. (A good question to
ask is "Is the model's fit better than the fit we would obtain by
retesting subjects? If it is, then I feel justified in being
suspicious.)

I personally like replicating the experimental results - do the same
experiment with the model and establish whether the various main
effects and interactions are present (but we aware that the model is
likely to have less error variance than real subjects, unless you
really have tried to account seriously for individual differences).

But, in my opinion, the most convincing results come from doing
cross-validation. Split the data in two, fit the data to one half, and
then report the r^2 for the second half.

I hope this is of help - if nothing else it might stir someone else to
contribute.

Regards,

Rick Cooper