[ACT-R-users] Summer student/Postdoc position

Dennis Perzanowski dennis.perzanowski at nrl.navy.mil
Mon Apr 7 08:49:39 EDT 2008

We are developing an interaction model of how users characterize
visual content and context in a networked video surveillance
environment. This larger environment is the InterTrack video
surveillance tool being developed jointly in research with
investigators from the Naval Research Laboratory, Interactive Systems
Group, Washington, DC; Washington University at St. Louis; and
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.  In such a model, user-directed
actions and interactions need to be grounded for system-level
reasoning. In other words, the system and the user need to share a
common frame of reference or a common ground within which to interact;
otherwise, achieving effective human-system collaboration is
difficult. Current computational systems cannot compete with the level
of complexity needed to achieve what humans naturally infer nor do
they exchange contextual information easily to achieve successful task
completion. A model that captures what humans do quite naturally must,
therefore, be guided by principles of human contextual inference. Our
primary goal is to produce an interaction model that achieves a level
of inferential human-system collaboration that characterizes human-
human interaction while minimizing excessive user interactions, a
common complaint leveled against such systems. By proposing to develop
such a model, we expect to address a core set of issues that are
relevant for a range of human-machine interaction domains.

To this end, we are seeking a summer student or postdoc to work at the
Naval Research Laboratory.  The position is available immediately and
can be extended.  Applicants for the summer position should contact
Dr. Perzanowski (see below).  Postdoc applicants need to apply via
channels, e.g. the National Research Council.

Dennis Perzanowski, Ph.D.

Section Head, Interactive Systems (5512)

Naval Research Laboratory

4555 Overlook Ave, SW

Washington, DC 20375

Email:  dennis.perzanowski at nrl.navy.mil