[ACT-R-users] Re: ACT-R-users Digest, Vol 7, Issue 6

ben.willems at faa.gov ben.willems at faa.gov
Thu Feb 16 15:12:35 EST 2006

I understand that a lot can happen during such long fixations, but would
ACT-R be able to predict such long fixations?  I have attached a snippet
of about 150 seconds for one of our air traffic controllers for one
aircraft while it is entering his airspace.  Controllers in this air
traffic control simulation dealt with 35(!) aircraft at any point in time.
 When separting events related to a single aircraft there are clear
patterns of task related activity.  In te example blow a controller enters
a command to move the aircraft label, the takes responsibility for the
aircraft.  This is perception, cognition, and motor action in the wild! We
have tried to create "traces" if you like of observable events.  Question
now is how we can cluster these events to form subtasks, subtasks to for
tasks, etc.  Of course I can take an arbitrary interval between events and
suggest that anything beyond that interval must be the start of a new
sub-task, but I had hoped to use something that has better underpinnings
than just Benny coming up with a number.

Anyway, thanks for all the feedback.  I hope to be able to use a model
like ACT-R/PM in the future to see if we can explain some of the things
that we see in our human data.

Ben

Ben Willems
Engineering Research Psychologist
William J. Hughes Technical Center
NAS Human Factors Group (ACB-220)
Building 28
Atlantic City International Airport, NJ 08405
USA
Phone:  609-485-4191
Fax:  609-485-6218
E-mail: Ben.Willems at faa.gov