[ACT-R-users] Efficient approximation of the Base-Level Learning Equation

Lynne Reder reder at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 15 17:14:22 EST 2006

Alex, two things:

  first in my step-child version of ACT-R's non-procedural memory
(called SAC), we use a transient boost in current activation that
decays exponentially.  I think old versions of ACT did that too, but I
know longer remember.  In any case,  I've been using a current boost
that decays exponentially for about a decade or so (first published in
1996).  Second, as you may know, Barbara Dosher & co. have evidence
that power law learning is really an artifact of averaging different
exponentials from different processes within a person or across people.
  I heard her give a talk recently.  Perhaps I have mischaracterized
these things, but thought you might know about this and want to address
that.

Regards,
Lynne