[ACT-R-users] Efficient approximation of the Base-Level Learning Equation

Alex Petrov apetrov at alexpetrov.com
Wed Feb 15 16:19:22 EST 2006

Dear ACToRs,

As you know, the base-level equation is one of the pillars of ACT-R's success.
It has a serious practical drawback, however -- it consumes a lot of memory
and CPU cycles.  The approximate formula published in the 1998 book is good
for many purposes but does not capture the transient boost after each use of
a chunk. I have developed an improved approximation, which does take all
critical properties of the exact equation into account. It was used with
great success in the ANCHOR model of Petrov & Anderson (2005).  It can be
very useful for large simulations, allowing ACT-R to scale up to more
realistic memory sizes and more prolonged learning periods.  As far as I know
(though I'm not sure), it is already implemented in the current version of
ACT-R.  (Dan, can you please advise on that?)

A short two-page description of this new approximation has just been submitted
to ICCM06.  It is attached below, together with its associated MATLAB code.
All this stuff will soon be posted on my web page at  http://alexpetrov.com

I do hope this will be helpful to the ACT-R community.

Best regards,

  -- Alex

Alexander A. Petrov:  apetrov at alexpetrov.com

Post-doctoral Researcher
Department of Psychology
University of Colorado, Boulder
http://alexpetrov.com

It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness.