[ACT-R-users] in search of data

Kevin.Gluck at mesa.afmc.af.mil Kevin.Gluck at mesa.afmc.af.mil
Mon Aug 1 14:46:29 EDT 2005

Friends in the ACT-R and Soar communities,

I am in search of data, and ask you to consider whether you have any data of
the type desired, and which you would be willing to share.

We have an applied research effort underway that is focused on developing
mathematical models for predictive and prescriptive training applications.
The predictive models will extrapolate from current levels of trainee
performance and known training histories, to possible future levels of
performance, assuming particular frequencies and temporal distributions of
future training opportunities (or lack thereof).  The prescriptive models
will provide guidance regarding required timing and frequency of training in
order to achieve desired levels of future competence.

As you all are aware, human performance and learning is considerably more
regular, and therefore predictable, in the aggregate (i.e., sample means),
and virtually all of the published data in the experimental and cognitive
psychology literature are reported at the aggregate level.  Yet we are
interested in predicting future performance on single trials, at the
individual or team level.  One of the challenges we face in this effort is
determining the limits of our ability to make such predictions and
prescriptions at that level of detail.  To support our attempts to address
this challenge, we seek trial-by-trial data for individual subjects or teams
participating in a complex (at least fairly complex) skill acquisition study
over a time period of days to weeks (or longer).  If the study(ies) involve
an intentional manipulation of the spacing of practice sessions and/or test
sessions, that's a bonus, but not critical.

Please let me know if you have such data available that you are willing to
share.

Regards,

Kevin

KEVIN GLUCK, PhD