[ACT-R-users] Proposal: CommonReality OpenGroup

Anthony M. Harrison anh23+ at pitt.edu
Sat Aug 14 17:58:24 EDT 2004

   As modelers we are increasingly finding ourselves attempting to
integrate our models with other devices that either interact with or
simulate the real world. I've been trying to make this process easier
on myself. However, I've quickly come to realize that this interfacing
problem is one faced by all modelers regardless of architecture. In my
conversations with the robotics folks at NRL, it's also become clear
that they face a similar problem. As such, I'm proposing the formation
of the CommonReality OpenGroup.
   What is it? It is a group that will work towards creating a general
abstraction layer for architectures and devices to permit better
interoperability across architectures, devices, hardware, and software.
Participation is open to anyone interested. The goal is to produce
reference implementations of this abstraction layer in all the primary
modeling languages (not architectures, since this should be
architecturally agnostic). These reference implementations can then be
used by architecture and device developers to ensure reliable
interactions.

   I have posted a power point presentation on the general rationale
behind the open group as well as a prototype description to get people
thinking and talking.

   http://sourceforge.net/projects/commonreality/

   I ask that anyone and everyone who thinks they have a stake in this
to participate. It will only work if we have a wide array of
participants from numerous fields.

   This message is being cross-posted to the Soar and ACT-R lists. If
you are aware of others who would be interested, please forward
accordingly.

     "The unexamined life isn't worth living;
          however, the over-examined life isn't living."

     Anthony M. Harrison, M.S.
     Research Assistant
     Learning Research & Development Center
     University of Pittsburgh