Numeric Comparison Model

Daniel J Bothell db30+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Jul 13 14:47:26 EDT 2001

Jerry.Ball at williams.af.m

> This certainly solves my problem, but I can't help wondering if it isn't too
> powerful...
>
> For example, it seems to me that the following comparisons would take
> significantly different amounts of time to make:
>
> 1 < 2
> 1233393 < 1232393

    I agree.  It's really more of a convenience feature than a theory
based model of comparison.  There were a bunch of models that had !eval!'s
in there to do that type of thing so it seemed reasonable to provide an
easier way (particularly when using the numerical coordinates provided by
the visual interface).  Many modelers are concerned more with the higher
level effects and don't need (or want) to have to do everything down to
that level of detail.  However, if that's important to your task and you
need to reproduce those effects then it probably isn't the right solution.

Dan