ACT-R Parallelism

Troy Kelley tkelley at arl.army.mil
Fri Apr 6 11:08:42 EDT 2001

I seem to be a little confused about the parallel aspect of ACT-R P/M.  I
am working with visual objects and the documentation for ACT-R P/M says
that, "the vison module checks the icon to see if there is a feature in the
icon that matches the chunk requested by ACT-R.  If one existes, a chunk
representing that visual location is created and returned to ACT-R in zero
time."  I guess I also assumed that all chunks returned by ACT-R P/M in
zero time would have the same activation levels, but as far as I can tell,
they don't.  So... if they don't have the same activation levels, then they
really are not returned in parallel, because some are more active than
others.  If they were returned in parallel, they all should have the same
activations.  So.. do I have to do a match on all the portions of the
screen that I want returned as chunks with the same activation?  Couldn't I
do that without ACT-R P/M?

Troy