contributed model

Scott Peterson gt4747c at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Feb 5 17:27:33 EST 1999

I would like to announce that a new model has been added to the ACT-R
Contributed Models page (http://act.psy.cmu.edu/ACT/ftp/contributions).
This is an ACT-R 3.0 model of the visual enumeration task that
demonstrates emergence of the subitizing phenomenon.  The model is fully
described in a paper I have written with Tony Simon titled
"Computational Evidence for the Subitizing Phenomenon as an Emergent
Property of the Human Cognitive Architecture," which is in the queue for
publication in Cognitive Science.  The abstract for our paper is
appended below.  An earlier version of the model (Peterson, Simon, &
Morton, 1997) was published in the Proceedings of the Cognitive Science
Society.  Your comments are welcomed and appreciated; we hope to make
many improvements as we upgrade the model for ACT-R version 4.

Abstract
--------
A computational modeling approach was used to test one possible
explanation for the limited capacity of the subitizing phenomenon.  Most
existing models of this phenomenon associate the subitizing span with an
assumed structural limitation of the human information processing
system.  In contrast, we show how this limit might emerge as the
combinatorics of the space of enumeration problems interacts with the
human cognitive architecture in the context of an enumeration task.
Subitizing-like  behavior was generated in two different models of
enumeration, one based on the ACT-R cognitive architecture and the other
based on the principles of parallel distributed processing (PDP).  Our
results provide good qualitative fits to results obtained in a variety
of empirical studies.

Scott Peterson
School of Psychology
Georgia Institute of Technology