[Olympus developers 444]: Re: how to enable multiple users simultaneously.

Aasish Pappu aasishp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 16:51:13 EST 2014

The architecture natively doesn't support multiple users (I assume you
meant simultaneous sessions).  However, there were instances where you
could run multiple instances of some of the components (Audio Server, DM,
InteractionManager, Hub) corresponding to each session. Since those
components are session specific. There are few components (ASR, NLU, NLG)
which can run as services i.e., doesn't have to be instantiated. All of
this
customization will require understanding of how the components interact.

The short answer is there is no easy recipe to customize the architecture
for multiple sessions.

There are few example systems that were built to handle certain aspects of
the simultaneous sessions.

1. Multiparty Interaction: System interacting with more than user at a time
in a single interactive session.

repo: http://trac.speech.cs.cmu.edu/repos/olympus/branches/MultiOly1.0/

We instantiate dialog manager, hub for each user to keep track of their
slot/value pairs (if different from other user). We don't have to
instantiate the IM and AudioServer in this case because both users are
listening on same channel (loud speakers) and talking on same channel
(kinect microphone array).  While talking to the users, we don't want the
dialog manager to request for multiple nlg prompts for each user, instead
we synchronize the system's response from DM to one of the users or both
users. We do this using a new component called conversation manager that
talks to interaction-manager on behalf of both the dialog managers. More
details on this work in
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-642-39330-3_12

2. Human robot teams: Single user interacting with multiple robots.

We instantiate dialog manager, hub, robot backend for each robot. The
dialog context for each robot is independent from each other. Here each
robot's DM responds to the user based on a trigger phrase (e.g., RobotA
listen, RobotB listen).

repo: http://trac.speech.cs.cmu.edu/repos/teamtalk/branches/tt-olympus2/

--
Aasish Pappu