[Olympus developers 433]: Running RavenClaw as a stand-alone unit

Aitzaz Ahmad aitzaz.ahmad at kics.edu.pk
Wed Dec 18 03:24:19 EST 2013

Hi,
      I'm working at the Center for Language Engineering based in the
University of Engineering and Technology, Lahore, Pakistan. The research
facility is owned by Dr. Sarmad Hussain (PhD in Speech Science from
Northwestern University '92). We're working on a speech processing project
at center these days (Mobile based Weather Spoken Dialogue System in Urdu)
which led us to study and explore Olympus.

     Since we're developing our own ASR(using Sphinx 3) and TTS(using
Festival) for Urdu, an area of particular interest in Olympus is the
RavenClaw Dialogue Manager. I've been playing with the available tutorials
and have made a toy system in English as well. But now I've been asked to
plug out the Dialogue Manager component/module and to run it as a
stand-alone application (i.e. without the other modules including the
process monitor).

    What I want for now is to be able to run RavenClaw as a console based
stand-alone application without a GalaxyInterface and a Galaxy Hub. I've
read the document in the Documentation folder of Olympus as well to develop
some basic understanding as to how the DM works. When I tried to open the
RavenClaw Visual Studio project file from "2.5\Libraries\RavenClaw\Utils" I
got the following prompt:-

"The source control provider associated with this solution could not be
found. The projects will be treated as not under source control.

Do you want to permanently remove the source control bindings from the
projects?"

    I chose "No" as an option. When the visual studio opened the project
and I tried to open the DebugUtils.h,cpp files, I got another prompt saying
the visual studio cannot open these files. Whereas, opening the files
independently works just fine.

   I'd really appreciate your help and feedback or any guidance that you
might give so that I can run the system as a standalone application.

Regards,
Aitzaz Ahmad