[Olympus developers 265]: speech level ("volume")

Gabriel Parent gparent+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 18 16:05:11 EST 2010

Hi,

I'm building a model to have my SDS adapt to the user.  I need the
"volume" feature: for example, if a user starts speaking louder, there
might be a bus passing by and thus we need to increase the volume of the
synthesizer (it's a bad example, anyway you get the point).

Looking into the AudioServer, I found that the GMM VAD updates two
variables : fNoiseLevel and fSpeechLevel.  I don't understand exactly
how the GMM VAD works, but it seems it estimates the speech level using
an histogram.  Would it be safe to use fSpeechLevel as my "volume"
feature?  I tried going from whispering to shouting, and that value went
from 9 to 17.  Just want to make sure I'm not making a dumb mistake.

Cheers,
Gabriel