[Olympus developers 294]: N-Best lists from PocketSphinx/Olympus

Blaise Thomson brmt2 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 23 12:02:54 EDT 2010

Dear Alan / Olympus developers,

I am trying to get the Olympus LetsGo! system to provide an N-best list
of speech recognition hypotheses. I found the -n_best switch which can
be passed to the PocketSphinxEngine which is supposed to enable this but
when I set the switch to anything other than 0 the system crashes
immediately on any audio input. I remember you said that the system had
been build to provide N-best lists so I was wondering if you could give
any advice on why it is not working. Do you have a working N-best list
system that you could send me to see how things are configured?

In trying to solve the problem I took a look at the PocketSphinxEngine
source code and have noticed some possible memory access bugs which may
be contributing to this. These were related to the way the
iHypsGenerated variable was used. I've fixed these and attached the
main.cpp file for PocketSphinxEngine. The resulting code still crashes
but at a later stage. I've also attached the generated log files. After
the fix, the log file generates a WARNING: "ngram_search.c", line 1000:.
I don't know if this might be the cause of the problem. There is also a
possibility that I simply have to add a configuration variable to
PocketSphinx itself. At the moment I have only used the n_best switch on
PocketSphinxEngine.

Please do let me know if you have any ideas of how to get this working
or who else to contact.

Thanks for all you help,

Blaise