[Olympus developers 83]: Re: memory footprint of ravenclaw framework

Antoine Raux antoine.raux at polytechnique.org
Mon Jan 12 13:52:16 EST 2009

Yes, PocketSphinx and Flite are both designed to work on handheld
devices (hence the "Pocket" in PocketSphinx and the "lite" in Flite).

Now this is not the case for the rest of Olympus (parser, dialog
manager, natural language generation, and last but not least, Galaxy
Hub).

My guess is that you'd have to find (or create) a lightweight
alternative to Galaxy (to let your modules talk to each other), and at
least a new version of RavenClaw, which is really not optimized for
performance (or memory usage). Now depending on your application, you
might not need all the bells and whistles of RavenClaw (and god knows
there are quite a few), so if you can get away with a much simpler
dialog manager (in which case, NLU and NLG should not be a problem
either), I assume you'd be able to fit a whole system on a (reasonably
powerful) handheld device.

antoine