[Olympus developers 176]: Re: Visual Studio

Benjamin Frisch bfrisch at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Dec 30 15:20:30 EST 2009

Hi Brian,
   I actually have been developing Olympus using Visual Studio 2008 (and
testing with Visual Studio 2005) and can even compile the 2.2 branch with
Visual Studio 2008 as well after changing the build script; however, Olympus
will currently not compile with other Windows compilers primarily due to use
of Microsoft's "secure" CRT functions.  If you are interested in getting
Olympus up and running, I recommend starting out with the 2.5 branch which
is currently in more or less a release candidate stage, whose build script
guides you through installing the necessary dependencies, supports Visual
Studio 2005 SP1 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 (Professional Edition and let me
know if it doesn't work with the free Visual C++ 2008 Express edition at
http://www.microsoft.com/express/download/ ), NetBeans 6.8, and the Windows
Sever 2008 SDK instead of requiring Speech SDK.  It is also compatible with
all of the example and tutorial systems when using the branches/2.5 version
of them.  It can be checkout-ed from
http://trac.speech.cs.cmu.edu/repos/olympus/branches/2.5/ and you should do
an SVN update before you start work each day until the release.  While
things seem to be significantly better than 2.2 release quality to me, I am
feverishly working on a full very stable 2.5 release, so, if you encounter
any crashes, freezes, hangs, or unexpected odd behavior, e-mail the list and
I will file a ticket and commit a fix shortly if necessary.  Also, feel free
to e-mail the list if you have any questions about Olympus that is not
addressed by our still work in progress documentation.

Thanks,
Benjamin Frisch
Undergraduate Research Assistant