[Olympus developers 36]: <s> in grammars

TK Harris tkharris at cs.cmu.edu
Wed May 21 10:45:29 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'd like to mandate that the <s> construct in grammars, e.g.

[Repeat]
    (*sorry what's that *again)
    (<s> what </s>)
    (*sorry i didn't HEAR YOU)

be forbidden. It's going to be a little awkward to support by some of
the language tools, mostly because it's no longer context-free. It's
caused problems in the past where <s> gets treated like other
vocabulary. My question is, are these non-context-free grammar elements
too useful to simply remove? If so, then we might want to keep them, but
change the syntax so that it doesn't overload the meaning of a token,
relying on a side-effect of the recognizer.

Thanks,
-Thomas