[Olympus developers 32]: Re: cmucltk changes

Antoine Raux antoine at cs.cmu.edu
Mon May 5 11:14:45 EDT 2008

I agree with going for option (2) for now. I think the long term
solution to all these dependencies and Linux/Windows version issues is
to make Olympus platform independent and (therefore) remove the VS
dependency. Even a Cygwin dependency wouldn't be that bad if all of
Olympus worked that way. The thing I don't like is to require people to
have both Visual Studio and Cygwin (or whatever non-VS solution we can
come up with for Windows). I believe that supporting Linux (again while
keeping the possibility of running through Windows) will remove
significant (if nothing else psychological) adoption barriers for a
significant number of potential users. Of course, this is also a lot of
work...

Also, Thomas raised the issue of the additional burden put on CMUCLMTK
developers to support VS. The question is: is Olympus the only user of
CMUCLMTK requiring VS support? If there are indeed many people out there
who compile the tk under VS then the issue goes beyond Olympus and the
decision to support or not VS for cmuclmtk should take that into account.

Again, that said, I'm okay with linking to Windows binaries for now.

antoine