Connectionists: Call for co-located conferences, Linguistics Society of America Summer Institute 2025

Volya Kapatsinski vkapatsi at uoregon.edu
Mon Jun 17 16:34:11 EDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

We are looking for co-located conferences to supplement and complement the course offerings at the 2025 Linguistics Society of America Summer Institute<https://www.lsadc.org/content.asp?contentid=138>, to be held in Eugene, OR, USA from July 7 to August 8, 2025. The Institute is the largest and most prestigious summer school for linguistics in the world, and has been held since 1928, drawing about 100 faculty and a few hundred (mostly graduate) students. Eugene is a city of ~170,000 people, home to the University of Oregon, located at the southern end of the beautiful Willamette Valley. Within a 90-minute drive, you will find snow-capped mountains, a gorgeous coastline, wild hot springs, deserted ocean beaches, top-notch wineries, and more.

Events can be held on weekends: July 4-6, July 12-13, July 19-20, July 26-27,  or August 2-3. They can last one or two days, with the possibility of an evening session on July 11, 18, 25, or August 2 as well. We will provide room for the event (as we have 5 rooms maximum at any one time, parallel sessions are discouraged), and will advertise the event on the institute website. All expenses beyond the cost of the room are, however, the responsibility of the event organizers.

These events are intended to supplement coursework at the institute. The theme of the Institute is “Language in Use”, in keeping with the usage-based theoretical orientation of the linguistics department at Oregon, and we currently have particularly strong course offerings in

•         Typology

•         Descriptive and functional morphosyntax

•         Usage-based, learning-theoretic and constructivist approaches to language acquisition

•         Language variation and change, including frequency effects therein

•         Construction grammar and formulaic language

•         Information-theoretic and probabilistic approaches to linguistic theory

•         Bayesian and connectionist approaches to speech and language processing

•         Statistical methods in linguistic data analysis

For more information and to submit, please visit https://blogs.uoregon.edu/ublab/call-for-conferences-lsa2025/

Deadline: September 15, 2024

Acceptance / rejection: October 1, 2024

Feel free to contact me with any questions at vkapatsi at uoregon.edu<mailto:vkapatsi at uoregon.edu>

Vsevolod (Volya) Kapatsinski on behalf of myself, Kaori Idemaru and Spike Gildea, co-directors

Best,

--
Vsevolod Kapatsinski
Professor