Connectionists: short Op-ed to address AI problems

Baldi,Pierre pfbaldi at ics.uci.edu
Mon Jun 3 21:26:56 EDT 2024

I would appreciate feedback from this group,especially dissenting
feedback,  on the attached Op-ed. You can send it to my personal email
which you can find on my university web site if you prefer. The basic
idea is simple:

IF for scientific, security, or other societal reasons we want academics
to develop and study the most advanced forms of AI, I can see only one
solution:  create  a national or international effort around the largest
data/computing center on Earth with a CERN-like structure comprising
permanent staff, and 1000s of affiliated academic laboratories. There
are many obstacles, but none is completely insurmountable if we wanted to.

Thank you.

Pierre