Connectionists: Open PhD-Position - Modelling bumblebee goal finding

Jens Peter Lindemann jens.lindemann at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Sep 25 04:16:21 EDT 2023

PhD-Position: Modelling bumblebee goal finding

A PhD Position is open in the Neurobiology Group of Bielefeld University.

The PhD project is part of the DFG-funded project "Cue integration by
bumblebees during navigation in uncertain environments with multiple
goal options: Behavioural analysis in virtual reality and computational
modelling" in an international research team. Bumblebees can be trained
to prefer certain places or objects in a virtual environment through
appropriate rewarding. In a close integration of two PhD projects, one
with a focus on VR behaviour experiments and the other focussing on
computational modelling and simulation, we are investigating the
mechanisms underlying these learning and orientation performances.

Your Tasks
----------

The applicant is expected to design and implement models for behavioral
control of bumblebees, test them in computer simulations, contribute to
VR experiments with bumblebees, and collaborate intensively with other
project participants.

Your Profile
------------

We expect completed relevant scientific university studies (e. g. Master
or Diploma) in a pertinent natural science, engineering, computer
science or mathematics, strong interest in mechanisms of insect
navigation and neuroethology, and good programming skills in at least
one programming language (preferably Python).

We offer
--------

A fixed-term positon (36 months, fulltime, salary according to
remuneration level 13 TV-L) in the collegial working environment.

Application
We are looking forward to receiving your application. To apply, please
preferably use our online form: https://tinyurl.com/yc26rewv

For more information please contact Jens.Lindemann at Uni-Bielefeld.DE

--
Jens Peter Lindemann <Jens.Lindemann at Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
      Neurobiology & CITEC - Bielefeld University