Connectionists: PhD position - Comp. Neuro. - Navigation using episodic memory

Vinita Samarasinghe malini.vinita.samarasinghe at ini.rub.de
Fri Sep 22 05:02:27 EDT 2023

*Doctoral Position in Computational Neuroscience*

Are you curious about how the human brain stores memories? Have you
wondered how we manage to navigate through space? Our dynamic research
group uses diverse computational modeling approaches,includingbiological
neural networks, cognitive modeling, and machine learning/artificial
intelligence, to study learning and memory. Currently, we are actively
seeking a *talented graduate student* to join our team, someone who will
expand our computationalmodeling framework Cobel-RL
(https://doi.org/10.3389/fninf.2023.1134405)and use it to study how
episodic memory might be used to learn to navigate.*
*

*If you are interested in this position and are attending the Bernstein
Conference please get in touch directly with Sen Cheng at the conference.
*

*Your Profile: *

Candidates must

  *

    have a mastersdegreein neuroscience, physics, computer science,
    mathematics, psychology,or a related field

  *

    be able to work independently

  *

    have experience in mathematical modeling

  *

    have excellent programming skills,

  *

    have excellent communication skills in English, and

  *

    work well in a team.

We are committed to providing a supportive work environment for female
researchers and those with young children. Our university provides
mentoring and coaching opportunities specifically aimed at women in
research. We have a strong research network with female role models and
will provide opportunities to meet with them. Wherever possible, events
will be scheduled during regular childcare hours. Special childcare will
be arranged if events have to be scheduled outside of regular hours, in
case of sickness and during school or daycare closures. Where childcare
is not an option parents will be offered a home office solution.

The Ruhr University Bochum is home to a vibrant research community in
neuroscienceand cognitive science. The Institute for Neural Computation
combines different areas of expertise ranging from experimental and
theoretical neuroscienceto machine learning androbotics.

This position is *65% at TV-L E13*, starts as soon as possible and is
funded for *3 years*.

Please send your application, including CV, transcripts and research
statement electronically, as a single PDF file, to
samarasinghe at ini.rub.de. In addition, at least two academic references
mustbe sent independently to the above email address. Deadline remains
open until the position is filled.

The Ruhr University Bochum is committed to equal opportunity. We
strongly encourage applications from qualified women and persons with
disabilities.

Please feel free to get in touch with me if you have any questions.

--
Vinita Samarasinghe M.Sc., M.A.

Science Manager
Arbeitsgruppe Computational Neuroscience
Institut für Neuroinformatik
Ruhr-Universität Bochum, NB 3/73
Postfachnummer 110
Universitätstr. 150