Connectionists: Galileo and the priest

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Fri Mar 17 05:27:31 EDT 2023

Dear Risto and Claudius,

I like your discussion on variable binding / attention / soft links. To an extent, this already worked in the early 1990s, although compute was a million times more expensive than today!

3 decades ago we published what’s now called a "Transformer with linearized self-attention" (apart from normalization): Learning to control fast-weight memories: an alternative to recurrent networks, Neural Computation, 1992. Based on TR FKI-147-91, TUM, 1991. Here is a well-known tweet on this: https://twitter.com/SchmidhuberAI/status/1576966129993797632?cxt=HHwWgMDSkeKVweIrAAAA

One of the experiments in Sec. 3.2 was really about what you mentioned: learning to bind “fillers" to “slots" or “keys" to "values” through "soft links." I called that “learning internal spotlights of attention” in a follow-up paper at ICANN 1993.

How does this work? A slow net learns by gradient descent to invent context-dependent useful pairs of “keys" and “values” (called FROM and TO) whose outer products define the "attention mapping" of a fast net with “soft links” or “fast weights” being applied to queries. (The 2017 Transformer combines this with a softmax and a projection operator.)

The 1991 work separated memory and control like in traditional computers, but in an end-to-end differentiable fashion. I am happy to see that the basic principles have become popular again. Here an overview in Sec. 13 of the Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning (2022): https://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/deep-learning-history.html#transformer . Longer blog post: https://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/fast-weight-programmer-1991-transformer.html

There is also an ICML 2021 publication on this, with Imanol Schlag and Kazuki Irie: Linear Transformers Are Secretly Fast Weight Programmers. Preprint https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.11174

Juergen