Connectionists: Can LLMs think?

Gary Marcus gary.marcus at nyu.edu
Fri Mar 17 05:04:49 EDT 2023

Frederick, Geoff and others,

by the way I don’t know about “average people” but here is a great example of a bright journalist (not an AI expert or ML researcher) with perfectly clear recognition of how GPT-4 cannot be trusted,—and a reminder that for all its alleged “understanding” GPT-4 is utterly unconstrained by any internal process of fact-checking, which is to say that it cannot ground its text-pastiching process in reality, another diagnostic of discomprehension:

for good measure, some subtle lies about SVB, also generated by GPT-4 (reported by Dileep George).