Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Asim Roy ASIM.ROY at asu.edu
Fri Mar 17 00:53:16 EDT 2023

IBM Watson Health's failure might provide some insight on "understanding." Here are two articles on Watson Health and some quotes from them.

  1.  Machine learning the hard way: Watson's fatal misdiagnosis * The Register<https://www.theregister.com/2022/01/31/machine_learning_the_hard_way/#:~:text=IBM%27s%20Watson%20Health%20failed%20at%20the%20time%2C%20like,excelled%20is%20all%20about%20deducing%20questions%20from%20data.>

"You can learn the rules for Jeopardy in a minute. Becoming a doctor takes 10 years. Becoming the best doctor you can be takes a lifetime. Medical data, whether in the literature or in test results, is meaningless or misleading without a lot of implied context. Watson Health couldn't work across lots of fields at once; that needs a general intelligence which AI currently does not have.

IBM's Watson Health failed at the time, like so much AI/ML, because it didn't know what the question was - ironic, since the game of Jeopardy at which it excelled is all about deducing questions from data.  It wanted to automate the highest skilled aspects of healthcare, diagnosis and treatment, but the problem wasn't one of getting the most data and the best algorithm. Rather, the problem was one of meaning."

  1.  What Is The Reason Of IBM Watson's Failure In Healthcare? | by Webcubator Technologies | Medium<https://webcubatortechnologies.medium.com/what-is-the-reason-of-ibm-watsons-failure-in-healthcare-ad2043968a28>
"A leading AI researcher, Yoshua Bengio, said that AI systems could not understand uncertainty and pick up on underlying faint signs that doctors generally can observe.
It was an incredibly huge task to create an AI with the same understanding and insight as a human doctor.
It received intense criticism and a few even alleged that Watson of oncology providing irrelevant and terrible suggestions."

Asim Roy
Professor, Information Systems
Arizona State University
Lifeboat Foundation Bios: Professor Asim Roy<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__lifeboat.com_ex_bios.asim.roy&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=wQR1NePCSj6dOGDD0r6B5Kn1fcNaTMg7tARe7TdEDqQ&m=waSKY67JF57IZXg30ysFB_R7OG9zoQwFwxyps6FbTa1Zh5mttxRot_t4N7mn68Pj&s=oDRJmXX22O8NcfqyLjyu4Ajmt8pcHWquTxYjeWahfuw&e=>
Asim Roy | iSearch (asu.edu)<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__isearch.asu.edu_profile_9973&d=DwMFaQ&c=slrrB7dE8n7gBJbeO0g-IQ&r=wQR1NePCSj6dOGDD0r6B5Kn1fcNaTMg7tARe7TdEDqQ&m=waSKY67JF57IZXg30ysFB_R7OG9zoQwFwxyps6FbTa1Zh5mttxRot_t4N7mn68Pj&s=jCesWT7oGgX76_y7PFh4cCIQ-Ife-esGblJyrBiDlro&e=>