Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Kagan Tumer kagan.tumer at oregonstate.edu
Wed Mar 15 12:08:53 EDT 2023

I'm very reluctant to use the word "understand" beyond perhaps ChatGPT
understanding the structure of language (statistically). Here's an
example of a ChatGPT response to a simple arithmetic operation where:

1- chatGPT was wrong;
2- worked out an example that showed it was wrong, but it didn't
register that and double down on its wrong conclusion;
3- gave a high level explanation (also wrong) of why it was right even
though it was wrong.

you can forgive 1, but 2 and 3 clearly show ChatGPT does not actually
understand what it is saying.

Kagan

--
Kagan Tumer
Director, Collaborative Robotics and Intelligent Systems Institute