Connectionists: ?==?utf-8?q? Galileo and the priest

Claudius Gros gros at itp.uni-frankfurt.de
Mon Mar 13 06:38:53 EDT 2023

-- attention as thought processes? --

The discussion here on the list shows, that
ChatGPT produces intriguing results. I guess
everybody agrees. What it means remains open.

Let me throw in a hypothesis.

With the introduction of the attention framework,
deep-learning architectures acquired kind of
'soft links' by computing weighted superpositions
of other states of the network. Possibly, this may
be similar to what happens in the brain when we 'think',
namely to combine states of distinct brain regions
into a single processing stream.

If that would be true (which remains to be seen), it would
imply that the processes performed by transformer
architectures would have a certain resemblance to actual
thinking.

Any thoughts (by human brains) on this hypothesis?

Claudius

--
###
### Prof. Dr. Claudius Gros