Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Feitong Yang william1121 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 12 00:21:13 EST 2023

I wish the authors of the opinion piece, led by Chomsky, can try to play
with ChatGPT a bit more before they assert their claim. At least, that
would help them use different, more convincing, examples to make their
point.

Nowadays, everyone can type a paragraph and check what ChatGPT can or
cannot do. It's so easy to verify whether Chomsky's argument against
ChatGPT's performance is sound or weak. It is not the 80s and 90s when MIT
professors throw out claims on possible performance shortcomings, and
stronger, competence weakness, on connectionism models and it takes a lot
of effort to test whether their claim is really the case.

Here is another example from the piece that sounds quite plausible, but
ChatGPT would tell Chomsky and co-authors to think more carefully and
choose a better example:

> For this reason, the predictions of machine learning systems will always
be superficial and dubious. Because these programs cannot explain the rules
of English syntax, for example, they may well predict, incorrectly, that
“John is too stubborn to talk to” means that John is so stubborn that he
will not talk to someone or other (rather than that he is too stubborn to
be reasoned with). Why would a machine learning program predict something
so odd? Because it might analogize the pattern it inferred from sentences
such as “John ate an apple” and “John ate,” in which the latter does mean
that John ate something or other. The program might well predict that
because “John is too stubborn to talk to Bill” is similar to “John ate an
apple,” “John is too stubborn to talk to” should be similar to “John ate.”
The correct explanations of language are complicated and cannot be learned
just by marinating in big data.

Asking this question to ChatGPT:

*ME: explain what does mean to say "John is too stubborn to talk to"*
ChatGPT:  When someone says "John is too stubborn to talk to", it means
that they believe John is unwilling to listen to others or to consider
other perspectives. This stubbornness can make it difficult or impossible
to have a productive conversation or to reach a mutual understanding with
John. The phrase "too stubborn" implies that John's level of stubbornness
is excessive or beyond what would be considered reasonable or productive in
a conversation. It suggests that attempts to communicate with John may be
met with resistance or closed-mindedness, and that it may be difficult to
get him to see things from a different point of view. Overall, the phrase
"John is too stubborn to talk to" suggests that communicating with John may
require extra effort or patience and that it may be a challenging or
frustrating experience.

[image: image.png]
looks like language, at least the assumed complicated example, is not so
complicated.

Criticisms of ChatGPT's performance feel to me like a half-full-half-empty
debate. One may treat a borderline performance as fundamental incompetence
whereas another treats it as tunable competence and growth potential.

Let's try two examples that Gary used in old days: an ABA rule learning
example, and a binary identity mapping example from *The Algebric Mind*.

*(1) Rule learning?*
*---*
Me: let me give you two groups of triplets: group 1: (green, yellow,
green), (blue, red, blue); group 2: (green blue blue), (yellow red red).
Which group does ABA belong to?
ChatGPT: The triplet ABA belongs to Group 1 because it follows the pattern
of "ABA" where the first and third colors are the same (either green or
blue) and the second color is different (either yellow or red).

Me: what about (hot cold cold)?
ChatGPT: The triplet (hot, cold, cold) belongs to Group 2 because it
follows the pattern of (green, blue, blue), (yellow, red, red) where the
first two items are consecutive items in a sequence and the third item is a
repeat of the second item.

In (hot, cold, cold), "cold" is repeated twice, similar to the second item
in each triplet of Group 2, and "hot" and "cold" are consecutive in the
sequence of "hot" followed by "cold". Therefore, (hot, cold, cold) belongs
to Group 2.

Me: what about (human, insect, human)?
ChatGPT:  The triplet (human, insect, human) does not belong to either
Group 1 or Group 2 based on the patterns given.

Group 1 has the pattern of "ABA" where the first and third items are the
same and the second item is different, and Group 2 has the pattern of two
consecutive items followed by a repeat of the second item.

In (human, insect, human), there is no repetition of the second item as
required by Group 2, and the first and third items are not the same as
required by Group 1. Therefore, (human, insect, human) does not belong to
either group.

Me: really? check it again?

ChatGPT: I apologize for the error in my previous response. Upon reviewing
the patterns of the two groups, I realize that (human, insect, human)
actually belongs to Group 1.

Group 1 has the pattern of "ABA" where the first and third items are the
same and the second item is different. In (human, insect, human), the first
and third items are "human", and the second item is "insect". Therefore,
(human, insect, human) follows the pattern of Group 1 and belongs to this
group.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention and please let me know if you
have any further questions.

---

*(2) Algebric mind?*

>  Imagine that you are trained on the input and output data given in table
3.1. If you are like other people whom I have asked, you would guess that
in the test item the output that corresponds to input item [1111] is
[1111]. But that is not the only inference that you could draw. For
example, in the training data, the rightmost column is always 0: there is
no direct evidence that the rightmost column could ever be a 1. So you
might decide that the output that corresponds to test item [1111] is
[1110]. That inference, too, would be perfectly consistent with the data,
yet few if any people would make it. (We see later that some networks do.)
One way of describing the inference that people tend to draw is to say that
they are generalizing a one-to-one function, such as identity or sameness,
universally. (The Algebraic Mind, page 37)

---

Me: Let is a list of input-output pair: input=1010, output=1010;  input=0100,
output=0100; input=1110, output=1110; input=0000, output=0000; Now, if
input is 1111, what is the output

ChatGPT: Based on the input-output pairs given, the function appears to be
an identity function, where the output is the same as the input. Therefore,
if the input is 1111, the output would also be 1111.
---

ChatGPT's answer is now "like other people whom" Gary has asked, and it
gives exactly the reasoning Gary gave. Of course, ChatGPT may be cheating,
because it may have read Gary's book already.
ChatGPT can still behave very silly, but its explanations of its "reasoning
process"* look like* it can do symbol manipulation, beyond just simple
statistics. Even when its answer is wrong, its explanation articulated a(n)
(algebraic) rule inside the input data I sent.

Best regards,
Feitong

Goodhill, Geoffrey <g.goodhill at wustl.edu> 于2023年3月10日周五 11:38写道:

--