Connectionists: Chomsky's apple

Rothganger, Fredrick frothga at sandia.gov
Thu Mar 9 10:36:49 EST 2023

The problem with thought experiments, and particularly the famous ones in theory of mind (Searle's Chinese Room, Mary's Room, etc.) is that they contain a subtle appeal to intuition. You get out what you bring to it. Put another way, they help expose and clarify your own intuitions, but they don't actually prove anything.

Stefan asked the right question: Is there a difference between simulating something and actually doing it?

My answer: If your simulation gets real work done, then no. Is there a difference between simulating the addition of 2+2 and actually adding 2+2? As long as you get the answer 4, then no. Is there a difference between co-writing a science-fiction story about a user interacting with a sentient AI and actually being a sentient AI? Probably yes.

This goes back to the classic question that Turing raised. If the machine's behavior is indistinguishable from a human thinking, maybe we should grant that it actually thinks. Things we used to imagine were solely in the human domain, which required some special sauce that machines lack, have successively fallen to the onslaught of the AI project. Chess, fine art, Python code ...

Perhaps the real problem is our intuition that humans are somehow special, rather than just machines ourselves. We have this "yeah, but..." response each time one of these capabilities gets overtaken. That's an existential question, and we need some time to mourn.

Then we should utterly ignore our feelings of Human Exceptionalism and focus on how stuff works. How does the brain actually get thinking done? A proper theory should address the full breadth of evidence from neuroscience (not just a few cherry-picked general features) and all the results of ANN work.