Connectionists: Deadline soon: School of Ideas in Neuroscience 2023

Mateusz Kostecki mtkostecki at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 10:03:25 EST 2023

Hello!

There are only 6 days left to apply for Nencki School of Ideas in
Neuroscience - *https://nenckiopenlab.org/school-of-ideas-2023/
<https://nenckiopenlab.org/school-of-ideas-2023/>.*

 It is often said that neuroscience desperately needs ideas.

We are flooded by data and it is harder and harder to make sense of it.
But, at the same time, most courses and workshops in neuroscience teach us
experimental techniques, giving us more tools to gather even more data. But
we are not taught how to develop ideas.

We believe that theoretical thinking and idea development is a skill – a
skill that can be trained and developed. Our school will aim at teaching
how to develop theoretical thinking, how to create ideas, and put their
research in a broader context. We want you to learn how to make sense of
data.

In the *first section, selected theoretical frameworks* serves us as
examples – together with their authors, we discuss how different
theoretical frameworks can be applied to empirical research – but we also
trace how they were developed.

In the *metatheory section*, together with philosophers and historians of
science, we look at how ideas were and are developed, and what factors
foster their evolution.

In the* thinking tools section*, we try to teach our participants how to
think theoretically by building models, transgressing borders of their
discipline, think creatively and critically – and how to find time to think.

Our guests are *John Krakauer, Adrienne Fairhall, Luiz Pessoa, Nedah
Nemati, Pamela Lyon, Aikaterini Fotopoulou, Carina Curto, Kate Nave,
Gregory Kohn, Antonella Tramacere, Marcin Miłkowski, Wiktor Młynarski.*

Please find more info and the registration form here -
*https://nenckiopenlab.org/school-of-ideas-2023/
<https://nenckiopenlab.org/school-of-ideas-2023/>*

See you in Warsaw!

Mateusz Kostecki