Connectionists: [jobs] Assoc. Prof. in Machine Learning (permanent) in Robotics and Intelligent Systems, Univ. of Oslo, Norway

Jim Tørresen jimtoer at ifi.uio.no
Mon Jul 24 09:07:55 EDT 2023

[Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this call. Please feel free to distribute it to potential candidates who might be interested.]
Associate Professor in Machine Learning - two permanent positions in the Department of Informatics, University of Oslo, Norway

The position(s) can be affiliated to or interact with the Robotics and Intelligent Systems (ROBIN) group at the University of Oslo, Norway – the highest rated university in Norway: http://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/research/groups/robin
The Department of Informatics is looking for candidates who will strengthen our research and education within Machine Learning (ML) and associated application areas.

Candidates with a background in artificial intelligence/machine learning related to robotics or embedded systems are encouraged to apply and propose to be affiliated with the ROBIN group. We work with a set of different methods within AI and ML, including deep learning, evolutionary algorithms, evolutionary robotics, generative design, and more. Please see our web page for more information about our research.

Candidates will be evaluated with respect to two different profiles, distinct for each of the positions (you should consider whether you are relevant to apply for one or both of the positions):
1. Associate Professor in Ethical Considerations in Machine Learning: For this position, we are looking for a candidate with a research background in machine learning including applications (see Qualifications below) and a track record in analysing aspects of machine learning methodology related to ethical considerations, like transparency, reliability, bias, privacy, fairness, sustainability, autonomy, inclusion, non-discrimination, etc.

2. Associate Professor in Machine Learning: This position is expected to be offered to a candidate with a strong research background in machine learning including applications (see Qualifications below). Please note that this position is announced in Norwegian and with a requirement for candidates to have fluent oral and written communication skills in both English and a Scandinavian language.

Applications are to be submitted through a web page (see links in the announcement below) with a separate application for each of the two positions. You should clearly express the subject area(s) that you are relevant for and interested in (and address them in the requested research position paper). The ROBIN group would be pleased about candidates that express relevance to our research group.

Qualifications: Applicants must have a degree equivalent to a Norwegian PhD in a relevant area for the positions. Candidates must have a research background in machine learning (ML) as outlined above, including applications of ML to at least one of the research areas mentioned in the announcement (correspond to the four different research groups in the ML section). Thus, the profile needs to be within the scope of the ROBIN group to be affiliated with our group. A promising publication record is required. Candidates must have international publications in acknowledged publication channels. The assessment of publications will emphasise originality, quality, and scope. Research output from the last 5 years will be given weight. Candidates must have prior teaching experience within ML, associated application areas or computer science and have a commitment to engage in undergraduate and graduate education and in mentoring and advising master and doctoral students. Pedagogical qualifications and teaching and supervision experience at all levels will be an important factor in the evaluation process and should be well documented in a teaching portfolio. See the full announcements for more requirements.

Pay grade (depending on qualifications):
NOK 745 000 - 895 000 per year, approx.: €63,675 - 76,500 / $69,625 - 83,645

Announcements:
Ethical Considerations in Machine Learning: https://www.jobbnorge.no/en/available-jobs/job/247019/associate-professor-in-ethical-considerations-in-machine-learning
Machine Learning: https://www.jobbnorge.no/ledige-stillinger/stilling/247041/foersteamanuensis-i-maskinlaering
Closing date for applications: 18th August 2023

For the requested and compulsory "research position paper", please look at our ROBIN group web page https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/research/groups/robin/ (including our project overview https://www.mn.uio.no/ifi/english/research/groups/robin/robin-intro-mars-2022.pdf ) and outline how your background and interests in machine learning can match with and contribute to the ROBIN group research and projects. Our ongoing projects and most recent published papers are most relevant for our planned near-future research.

Contact for more information:  Prof. Jim Torresen
E-mail:  jimtoer at ifi.uio.no<mailto:jimtoer at ifi.uio.no><mailto:jimtoer at ifi.uio.no>