Connectionists: TU Braunschweig offers a W3 Full Professorship for Artificial Intelligence in interactive Systems

Team as mediendesign info at as-mediendesign.com
Wed Jul 12 05:53:52 EDT 2023

With nearly 17,000 students and 3,800 staff members, Technische Universität Braunschweig is the largest Institute of Technology in Northern Germany. It stands for a strategic and achievement-oriented way of thinking and acting, relevant research, exceptional teaching and the successful transfer of knowledge and technologies to industry and society. We consistently advocate family friendliness and equal opportunities.

We focus our research on mobility, engineering for health, metrology, and future city. Our core disciplines include a comprehensive engineering branch and a strong natural sciences branch, closely linked with business sciences, social sciences, humanities and educational sciences.

Our campus is located at the heart of one of Europe’s most active research regions. We cooperate closely and successfully with more than 20 research institutions right on our doorstep and maintain strong relationships with our partner universities all over the world.

Carl-Friedrich-Gauß-Fakultät
Department of Computer Science

We offer a
W3 Full Professorship for Artificial Intelligence in interactive Systems
to be filled at the earliest possible date.

We are looking for an internationally recognized personality in the field of Artificial Intelligence/​Machine Learning with experience in building up and leading a research group as well as in raising third-party funds. The newly established professorship will expand the research area of data-driven methods for interactive and intelligent systems at the TU Braunschweig and strengthen the focal points "Data Science" and "Reliability" of the Department of Computer Science.

The position holder has a strong background in Computer Science with a focus on Artificial Intelligence/​Machine Learning, specifically in the areas of Dependable AI and Explainable AI. Applicants should possess a method-oriented research focus on machine learning and have made internationally recognized contributions to at least one of the current research areas such as neural networks, generative and adversarial models, online and transfer learning, federated learning, (deep) reinforcement learning, probabilistic inference, graphical models, and/or MDP/​POMDP.

A researcher is sought who is able to combine the theoretical-methodological investigation and development of learning methods with applications in interactive intelligent systems, for example in autonomous robots, intelligent virtual agents, or intelligent networked production systems. Suitable applicants are expected to show an active interest in the concrete implementation of cognitive abilities in technical systems, ensuring compatibility with partners in engineering and natural sciences. With his/her research performance, the position holder will enhance the international visibility of TU Braunschweig in the field of Artificial Intelligence.

In teaching, topic-related courses in the areas of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning shall complement the Bachelor's and Master's degree programs of the Department of Computer Science. In particular, the topic of Machine Learning/​Artificial Intelligence is to be anchored in undergraduate teaching with a new compulsory Bachelor course. Participation in the academic self-administration of the university is expected as well as the willingness to actively shape computer science at the TU Braunschweig.

Our expectations
Internationally recognized research personality in the field of artificial intelligence/machine learning
    • Profound knowledge of computer science
    • Successful acquisition of third-party funding
    • Experience in establishing and leading an own research group
    • Teamwork, management and leadership skills
    • Commitment to Bachelor's and Master's degree programs in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems Engineering, and Information Systems, particularly with regard to undergraduate education in the field of machine learning
    • Very good command of the English language and willingness to teach courses in English
    • Willingness to engage in interdisciplinary collaborations
    • Commitment to increasing the internationalization and international visibility of the TU Braunschweig.
    • Willingness to participate in the self-governance of the university

Requirements, § 25 NHG
Completed university studies
    • Pedagogical suitability, proof of this is to be provided by a teaching sample
    • Special qualification for deepended independent scientific work, which is usually demonstrated by an above-average doctorate
    • Additional academic achievements, usually within the framework of a junior professorship, a post-doctoral lecture qualification (Habilitation) or achievements equivalent to a habilitation.

Notes
At TU Braunschweig, we aim to increase the share of women in academic positions and therefore particularly welcome applications from women. Where candidates have equivalent qualifications, preference will be given to female candidates. Applications from international scientists are welcome. Where candidates have the same qualifications, preference will be given to disabled candidates.

It is a permanent full-time position. A part-time appointment may be possible on request.

Applicants who are 50 years or older at the time the appointment commences and who have not acquired permanent civil servant status (Beamtenverhältnis auf Lebenszeit) will be employed with employee status (Angestelltenverhältnis).

Deadline for application
The application deadline is 2023-08-31.

Contact
For more information, please contact the chair of the Appointments Committee

Prof. Dr.-Ing. Marcus Magnor
Tel. +49 531 391-2101
m.magnor at tu-braunschweig.de

We are looking forward to your application!

The application should contain the usual documents. Please address your application to Prof. Dr. Dirk Konietzka, Dean of the Carl-Friedrich-Gauß-Fakultät, TU Braunschweig, and apply via online portal of TU Braunschweig.
Apply-Link: http://bitly.ws/K55z