Connectionists: Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning: Early recurrent neural networks for serial verbal learning and associative pattern learning

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Wed Jan 25 11:40:16 EST 2023

Dear Steve,

thanks - I hope you noticed that the survey mentions your 1969 work!

And of course it also mentions the origin of this whole recurrent network business: the Ising model or Lenz-Ising model introduced a century ago. See Sec. 4: 1920-1925: First Recurrent NN (RNN) Architecture

https://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/deep-learning-history.html#rnn

"The first non-learning RNN architecture (the Ising model or Lenz-Ising model) was introduced and analyzed by physicists Ernst Ising and Wilhelm Lenz in the 1920s [L20][I24,I25][K41][W45][T22]. It settles into an equilibrium state in response to input conditions, and is the foundation of the first learning RNNs ...”

Jürgen