Connectionists: Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning

Andrzej Wichert andreas.wichert at tecnico.ulisboa.pt
Sat Jan 21 06:28:37 EST 2023

Dear Juergen,

Thank you for your email. Some small remarks...

"3. "Neocognitron performs invariant pattern recognition, a CNN does not." CNNs and Neocognitrons (1979) have the same basic architecture with alternating convolutional and downsampling layers. Not sure why someone changed the name! See Sec. 9: https://people.idsia.ch/~juergen/deep-learning-history.html#cnn”

Neocognitron has maybe the same basic architecture as a CNN, but it performs a different task, see
Luis Sa-Couto and Andreas Wichert, Simple convolutional based models: are they learning the task or the data?, Neural Computation,1(17) , 2021 https://doi.org/10.1162/neco_a_01446

6. Generally speaking, I have never really understood the distinction between “symbolic" and “subsymbolic” AI….
All mathematics, the  calculations are related to symbol manipulation and logic.

However, I think the most important question in AI (modern AI) was posed by Douglas Hoffstadter  (Gödel, Escher, Bach  and Fluid Concepts and Creative Analogies: Computer Models Of The Fundamental Mechanisms Of Thought)
- “What is a concept?”  From this key question, many others follow. How do fluid boundaries come about? How do they give rise to generalization? What makes something similar to something else? For example, what makes an uppercase letter ‘A’ recognizable as such. What is the essence of ‘A’-ness?  DL tries to find regularities from a labeled data set but cannot answer these questions.

Best Wishes,

Andrzej
Prof. Auxiliar Andreas Wichert

http://web.tecnico.ulisboa.pt/andreas.wichert/
-
https://www.amazon.com/author/andreaswichert

Instituto Superior Técnico - Universidade de Lisboa
Campus IST-Taguspark
Avenida Professor Cavaco Silva                 Phone: +351  214233231
2744-016 Porto Salvo, Portugal