Connectionists: Annotated History of Modern AI and Deep Learning

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Sun Jan 15 16:04:11 EST 2023

Thanks for these thoughts, Gary!

1. Well, the survey is about the roots of “modern AI” (as opposed to all of AI) which is mostly driven by “deep learning.” Hence the focus on the latter and the URL "deep-learning-history.html.” On the other hand, many of the most famous modern AI applications actually combine deep learning and other cited techniques (more on this below).

Any problem of computer science can be formulated in the general reinforcement learning (RL) framework, and the survey points to ancient relevant techniques for search & planning, now often combined with NNs:

"Certain RL problems can be addressed through non-neural techniques invented long before the 1980s: Monte Carlo (tree) search (MC, 1949) [MOC1-5], dynamic programming (DP, 1953) [BEL53], artificial evolution (1954) [EVO1-7][TUR1] (unpublished), alpha-beta-pruning (1959) [S59], control theory and system identification (1950s) [KAL59][GLA85],  stochastic gradient descent (SGD, 1951) [STO51-52], and universal search techniques (1973) [AIT7].

Deep FNNs and RNNs, however, are useful tools for _improving_ certain types of RL. In the 1980s, concepts of function approximation and NNs were combined with system identification [WER87-89][MUN87][NGU89], DP and its online variant called Temporal Differences [TD1-3], artificial evolution [EVONN1-3] and policy gradients [GD1][PG1-3]. Many additional references on this can be found in Sec. 6 of the 2015 survey [DL1].

When there is a Markovian interface [PLAN3] to the environment such that the current input to the RL machine conveys all the information required to determine a next optimal action, RL with DP/TD/MC-based FNNs can be very successful, as shown in 1994 [TD2] (master-level backgammon player) and the 2010s [DM1-2a] (superhuman players for Go, chess, and other games). For more complex cases without Markovian interfaces, …”

Theoretically optimal planners/problem solvers based on algorithmic information theory are mentioned in Sec. 19.

2. Here a few relevant paragraphs from the intro:

"A history of AI written in the 1980s would have emphasized topics such as theorem proving [GOD][GOD34][ZU48][NS56], logic programming, expert systems, and heuristic search [FEI63,83][LEN83]. This would be in line with topics of a 1956 conference in Dartmouth, where the term "AI" was coined by John McCarthy as a way of describing an old area of research seeing renewed interest.

Practical AI dates back at least to 1914, when Leonardo Torres y Quevedo built the first working chess end game player [BRU1-4] (back then chess was considered as an activity restricted to the realms of intelligent creatures). AI theory dates back at least to 1931-34 when Kurt Gödel identified fundamental limits of any type of computation-based AI [GOD][BIB3][GOD21,a,b].

A history of AI written in the early 2000s would have put more emphasis on topics such as support vector machines and kernel methods [SVM1-4], Bayesian (actually Laplacian or possibly Saundersonian [STI83-85]) reasoning [BAY1-8][FI22] and other concepts of probability theory and statistics [MM1-5][NIL98][RUS95], decision trees, e.g. [MIT97], ensemble methods [ENS1-4], swarm intelligence [SW1], and evolutionary computation [EVO1-7][TUR1]. Why? Because back then such techniques drove many successful AI applications.

A history of AI written in the 2020s must emphasize concepts such as the even older chain rule [LEI07] and deep nonlinear artificial neural networks (NNs) trained by gradient descent [GD’], in particular, feedback-based recurrent networks, which are general computers whose programs are weight matrices [AC90]. Why? Because many of the most famous and most commercial recent AI applications depend on them [DL4]."

3. Regarding the future, you mentioned your hunch on neurosymbolic integration. While the survey speculates a bit about the future, it also says: "But who knows what kind of AI history will prevail 20 years from now?”

Juergen